Friday, October 16, 2009

I need to vent...

I HATE insurance companies so passionately it's probably a sin. Here is a few of the larger reasons why...
-When Jared and I first got married he was diagnosed with sleep apnea. No big deal, all he would need to do is sleep with a machine the rest of his life. He really doesn't mind it, he actually sleeps much better and doesn't snore at all like he used to. So, we did what we thought we should, we got the machine and had them bill the insurance company. Every little while a would get a bill for the "unpaid" amount. I would pay it. And then another bill for the "unpaid (by the insurance company)" amount. So a year later I had spent thousands of dollars for this machine and come to find out, I could have paid for it outright for half of what I paid going through the insurance company. On top of that, our insurance premiums were like $400 a month.
-I got a job for the state with the impression that not only is health insurance cheap, but it also covers almost everything.
-Last month a went in for a little out-patient procedure, simple, no big deal. My doctors office called and had it "pre-approved". I got a call saying out of the over $8000 it would only cost me $500. I was thrilled! Well...I WAS thrilled until I just got a bill in the mail from the hospital saying the insurance company only covered HALF...and not the 95%ish that I was told. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. All because it was "codded" wrong. The curse words going through my head right now are not going to be written.
So now I have to call my poor doctor and have him write a letter for me to submit to the appeals process crap AND resubmit the paper work AGAIN recoded. And all of this could be work for no reason. The insurance company, even after they said they would cover it, could still come back and say they decided not to cover it.
Point of my blog today....I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES...THEY DON'T COVER ANYTHING!!!
Remind me why we have to health insurance?

Okay, so I know I'm being dramatic, and I really am grateful for having insurance that at least covers half if this stupid thing. It just makes me mad that they can say one thing and do another after we pay them so much.
Thanks for listening to me vent, I really needed to.

5 comments:

Melissa and Hayden said...

Wow, sorry you have to deal with them... there's a reason politicians and insurance companies go hand in hand... they're both deceitful entities of corruption and greed. Hope it gets better for you, if you need help let me know and I'll get you the info I can to help your cause... having dealt with the dirty buggers at the pharmacy for 6 years, I have a few ideas, as I'm sure Jared's dad does as well. Good luck!

Heidi said...

oh man! I hear you and all I can say is you just have to stay on top of them...I would add to the list of hated...the moronic people who work there who can't write the code down correctly!!! I'm sorry you have to go through this...just keep gathering info and talking to supervisors and don't think it's just going to correct itself. They will take years if left to there own devices. Good luck! What flavor chocolate is your favorite??

Jared and Jesse said...

Thanks you guys for listening! You're awesome!!! My fav kind would have to be milk or the kind with the crunchies in it, like the crunch bar type thing.

Unknown said...

All I can say is amen!

Mindy Williams said...

Just keep fightin them...same thing happened with my shoulder surgery. $19,000 bill. Said I would only pay $100. Sweet. Got a bill for $8000. Fought with them for awhile. Only paid $100. Keep notes on when and who you talk with. Don't pay until the very meager end. Fight, fight, fight!