So I’ve been thinking about blogging about this for awhile. I’m going to talk about this for two reasons. First reason being that writing things is very therapeutic for me. Second reason being that I know a lot of you have a lot of questions. The longer I’ve been married the more people are asking me when we are going to have kids. For the past few years I’ve made up many excuses. I’m sure some of you have heard them. But I can only say that my dogs are enough for so long. All of those excuses have been a lie. You see, in my family we don’t talk about personal problems. You keep things to yourself. That is exactly what I’ve been doing. I’ve been trying to fight this battle by myself (with just Jared) for a couple of years. By blogging about this I can have a somewhat intimate conversation with my close friends and family without actually talking to you. If I have to talk to you about this I will just start crying and that would be awkward for both of us. Therefore, here it goes…
I went off of the pill almost two years ago. I thought it would be so simple, go off the pill and you’ll get pregnant right? Wrong! After a few months of no luck I started having some female health problems. I went to my doctor who put me on some medication that is supposed to get me back to normal and pregnant. Well a year of that produced nothing but the fact that my doctor wasn’t being aggressive at all and still didn’t remember who I was. So then I was referred to a fertility specialist. He is not covered by insurance, so just to see him we had to pay $250 up front. So we did. He was really helpful and spent a long time explaining to us (mostly me because Jared was only there physically, not so much mentally, he was really overwhelmed) what the problems most likely were. The first and most serious was endometriosis. It’s a very painful problem that is hereditary. My mother had it so bad that she was only ever able to have one kid, me, and that was a long shot. The only treatment is surgery. So I was referred to a great doctor and had the surgery this past September. I feel so much better after it. It made such a huge difference. The problem is the longer it takes for me to get pregnant, the more it will come back. There isn’t a way to prevent it. Which leads me into my second problem. I’m not regular on my own. So now I’m on more aggressive medication. I’m at least still on medication and haven’t had to do shots yet. Anyway, it’s still not fun. They cause nausea and weight gain. Plus I’m sure the stress isn’t helping the weight gain. At least those are my two most common symptoms. But I can handle all of that. The hardest part is having to map out on a calendar every month every pill you take, every ovulation test you take, and make sure everything happens on the right day and time. It invades the most intimate part of my marriage. Only to take another pregnancy test and have it be negative, again. It’s an emotional rollercoaster. It has tested my faith so much to have such a righteous desire that I want so bad but I can’t have. Sometimes I feel like a failure that I can’t have kids so easily. I feel bad that I can’t give that to Jared. I feel bad that the expense is so much that we can hardly afford the cheap treatments. If these don’t work I have no idea how we are going to pay for other stuff. And if it comes to invitro, I have no idea what we are going to do. I’ll be honest, it’s really depressing. Some days it’s really hard to be happy. I try really hard to be grateful for what I have and not dwell too much on what I don’t.
I’m sorry this is such a depressing post. I just wanted to put it out there. Now you all know. I know this is dumb, but please don’t talk to me about it. I will just cry. I'm not ready to talk. No, I’m not okay with it. I don’t understand why. But it’s my life. I will survive. I’m going to continue from now on to only post about the happy things in my life. I’m not expecting a pity party. The only thing I’m asking is that everyone stops asking me when we are going to have kids. We will someday, I hope.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Jesse, just happened to be online and saw your post just after you put it up! Just know that we are praying for you and one day you will figure out why you had to go through all of this--maybe not for a long time, but you will get there. Thank goodness you have so much family that does love both of you and we value you whether or not you have kids. I have a friend who did have to do in vitrio and it worked and she knows so much, so if you get to a place where you need a woman who has gone thru it to that extent, let me know....her baby was born crazy early too, but she is alive and well and an adorable 2 year old now. We love you so much. Just remember that! We love you! Can't wait to see you for our fiesta.
Jesse & Jared...We love you both. Blessings to you as you deal with this in your life. My hope is for you to find peace and answers.
Karen
You are so courageous Jesse. I admire your strength and your faith. You and Jared are very very special souls. I can hardly wait to see the amazing things that will happen in your future. Much love, C.
My thoughts are with you and Jared. You are a strong woman, and I love ya!
Hi Jesse, this was such a sweet & honest post. I admire you so much. I love you & will pray for you! In my line of social work (adoption work) I have talked with many many couples about fertility issues, & I am always so amazed at the couples I speak with. You are no exception. My heart goes out for you! I was actually thinking about this today because there was a woman who bore her testimony in our ward about healing from her pain of fertility issues - happily she is now a mom with 4 kids through adoption. I love you & will keep you in my prayers! I am sure the future holds wonders for you!
I love you JESSE! Be strong and if you are crying blame the meds! Dry up those tears and keep good courage. My friends just found out that after two adoptions,many foster children and 17 years of marriage...they are pregnant! God knows your plan from start to finish. Let him guide you and comfort you during the difficult times. Hugs! Heidi
Jesse,
I don't know if you know, but I just went through In Vitro, I am not infertile but carry a genetic disorder and know how hard and frustrating things can be. Please give me your email if you are up to it, I would love to tell you a little bit about our experience, carly@fromheadtoheel.com. You will be in my prayers, so glad you opened up:)
Post a Comment