Saturday, March 10, 2012

Set Backs

Well, a couple of days earlier than normal I got back a positive LH serge test, which means that we went in for round 3 of IUI's today. The plan was to do 6 tries and then evaluate options like IVF. Well, randomly my doctor was the one who did the IUI today. It's usually just a nurse. As he's doing the procedure he informs me that I have 3 endometriosis spots on my cervix. Bad enough that he said if this round doesn't work, then we have to re-evaluate the game plan. After the IUI I have to lay there for 20 minutes, so while I was laying there we went over options. I'm one of the rare cases with both PCOS and endometriosis. We have to treat the endometriosis first. This means either months of medications or another laparoscopy (surgery). Then after we treat it, we can go back on the meds I'm on now and try a few more IUI's, or just go right to IVF. This was definitely a set back. I was hoping things would work out faster. This puts us back a few more months, and even more money. Lately I've been wondering if I can take these meds that I'm on for 3 more months. They are brutal. I'm trying to look at this in a positive light and think of it as a blessing that we caught this, but I'm actually really upset about it. Trying not to be, but I am. After 4 years I've learned to turn off my emotions and not get my hopes up too much. Things had just been going so much better with this doctor and these treatments that I allowed myself too much hope. My doctor reminded me that we are young and that we shouldn't be worried, but as each year passes, my hopes for ever becoming a mother become lower and lower. Maybe we will just be that couple that never has kids. I'm going to have to come to terms with that eventually, why not start now. I know, I'm being dramatic, but it's how my life feels right now.
For now, we pray this round works. If it doesn't, I'll most likely go in for another surgery and then I'm considering taking a break, like a real break. I'm going to go back on the pill and stop thinking about this stupid mess I'm in for a few months, maybe even a year. I've been thinking about taking a break anyway. Maybe this is just my sign that I really need one. Then we can go back and maybe just jump right into IVF.
Sorry for the negative post, I just thought I would share the new information for the few of you who actually read my blog. I'll keep you updated on what we decide.

5 comments:

Budding Home said...

Oh Jesse I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time with all of this. I can't say it gets better or there is light at the end of the tunnel because I don't know if there is. But just know that I'm here if you ever want to let it all out or talk it through with someone. I know how much of a toll this must be taking on you and it breaks my heart to have to see someone else struggling to get pregnant! i hope that things turn around quickly for you and that hopefully this IUI worked. I will keep you and Jared in my prayers!

Jennie said...

How frustrating! Fertility meds are the WORST! I'm so sorry this is happening. Its the hardest thing I ever but well worth the fight. I would love to talk if you ever want to. You are most definitely in my prayers! Xoxo

Leilani W. said...

Jess! I'm so sorry to hear this. I know it's harder said than done, but keep your head up! We're thinking about you - consider my comment a while back. If you're willing to try anything, Kepo'o can help, and you won't have to be on so many drugs.

Katie said...

Jesse, I'm sorry you have to go through this. I had just a small taste of how those fertility meds are and they are not fun! I know with infertility there really isn't anything anyone can say to make it better, but know I think of you guys often and pray for you.

Carly said...

Jesse thanks for your post. I know we have different circumstances, but I can relate to a lot of your feelings. The drugs-the yucky yucky drugs, the set backs. I hope all goes well and I know one day you wil be a mother. It's such an emotional process trying to bring children to this earth when it's not as easy as it is for everyone else. Know I am thinking about you, praying for you, and I sympathise with you. If you ever want to talk to anyone please feel free to call! I know what you mean about taking a break-that's where I am at right now. It's so emotional even though I want to try again I feel mentally maybe I should take a couple months break. If you ever do decide one day to do IVF, I would love to talk to you about it. Love ya, thinking about you lots! Hang in there girl, xoxo